17 July 2010

trash collection, organic art.

It's no secret that Santa Monica is one of the dirtiest beaches; food wrappers and miscellaneous other things you would not want to step on are everywhere. But unless beachgoers take on the personal responsibility of not littering, I would imagine that keeping any beach pristine (especially since California is broke) would be a very difficult project. On my last trip to Santa Monica, I noticed the installation of a very simple and almost obvious trash collector: small, wooden fences.These fences use a naturally occurring phenomenon to an advantage; wind blowing east carries all the trash from the waterfront to the inland edge of the sand, where the fences catch it. With all the trash already collected, all the people who clean the beach have to do is bag the trash and place it in the nearby trashcans. I haven't read up on this, but I can imagine how much time, effort, and money is saved by using natural forces to reduce the need for human labor. What is more, the shadows cast from these fences create interesting patterns on the sand -- which was the first thing that caught my eye.

No comments: