I started exploring voronoi diagrams for my midterm project in Parametric Design with the intention of replicating/referencing patterns in cellular reproduction -- the idea came from my tahini paste, which had gone rancid and was very bubbly for some reason. I'm not really sure how I can make this dynamic without overcomplicating it, which would make it a mess to print on the laser cutter. Right now I have a pretty simple Grasshopper definition that begins by building a voronoi diagram around a point cloud. It then analyzes the diagram's curves (I think it divides the curves along a set parameter), generating points. The newly generated points are used to create another voronoi diagram, which is moved a certain distance to the right so that the cut lines are not overlapping too much. This happens until a voronoi diagram is no longer generated because of point distance.One problem I noticed with the definition (besides the fact that it is not very dynamic -- the only thing that changes the pattern is the radius of the original point cloud, which is manually controlled with a number slider) is that the move component moves a copy of the curves rather than the original curves themselves. That is why the first image has double of everything. I am hoping to make this 3D and take section cuts of it for the midterm project; that way, I can probably afford to make the pattern a bit more complex and overlapping.
A recent graduate from Barnard College in New York City, now proudly sporting a B.A. in Architecture with a minor in Spanish and Latin American Cultures. A cultural omnivore and a lover of languages, travel, design, photography, dance, innovation, and the word etcetera who's been using the blogosphere to piece together these myriad interests since 2009.
No comments:
Post a Comment